The Westchester County Department of Public Safety is accepting applications for seasonal park rangers to patrol county parks this summer. Applications are due by Feb. 22 and are available online via the Department of Public Safety.
Uniformed park rangers work under the supervision of county police officers to maintain a safe and enjoyable atmosphere in the county’s parks. They assist park users, provide information on park rules and procedures, help in searches for lost children, perform basic first aid on occasion and make regular security checks of buildings and facilities.
First-time park rangers are paid $14 hourly. Salaries are higher for those who have worked as a ranger for the county before. To qualify, applicants must:
- be a high school graduate
- be at least 19 years of age
- be a U.S. citizen
- be a resident of Westchester County
- possess a valid New York State driver’s license by the time of appointment.
Note: Accepted candidates must attend a 99-hour training program at the Westchester County Police Academy.
Public Safety Commissioner George Longworth said that many police officers in Westchester, including himself, had their first exposure to a law enforcement career by working as a park ranger.
“Working under the supervision of county police officers, park rangers help to ensure that Westchester’s parks and pools are safe and enjoyable for those who use them.” Public Safety Commissioner George N. Longworth said.
The Westchester County Department of Public Safety is committed to protecting the safety and security of all who live and work in our county or come here to visit.
AJ is a Father, Author, Writer, Rapper, Radio Personality, Hip-Hop Historian and A Freelance Journalist whose byline has appeared in several print publications and online sites including The Source, Vibe, the Village Voice, Upscale, Sonicnet.com, Launch.com, Rolling Out Newspaper, Spiritual Minded Magazine and several others.
You can also hear AJ every Thursday morning at 7:20 A.M. on Good Morning Westchester with host Bob Marrone on WVOX
Latest posts by AJ Woodson (see all)
- Brooklyn Federal Jury Awards $8.32 Mil Against Nassau & Hempstead Police For Violation of Civil Rights of Mentally Disabled Man - May 26, 2017
- Benefits & Limits of Civilian Review Boards: A Westchester Coalition for Police Reform Panel Discussion - May 26, 2017
- Statement from George Gresham, 1199SEIU President on CBO scoring of the American Health Care Act (AHCA) - May 25, 2017